[Translate to English:]

“The variety of forms and colors in the mineral collection should remind us a little of the One who has not only created life, but also matter in colorful splendor and diversity.”


Melk Abbey’s Mineral Collection

Flyer Mineral Collection

The Mineral Collection whose origins date back to the 18th century has grown considerably these last years. Between 1998 and 2007 the collection was restored and in May 2007 it was open to the interested public for the first time.

Melk abbey’s mineral collection is located in the former prelate’s library. This wonderful Baroque room with stucco decorations and an original ceiling painting from 1643, showing the abbey before its Baroque reconstruction, provides the perfect setting for the minerals.

Currently the admission to the mineral collection is included in the entrance price of Melk abbey.

A visit is possible from 1st April to 31st October ǀ daily between 1.30 pm and 3.30 pm

Due to limited space in the prelate’s library where the collection is housed, room capacity is limited to no more than 25 visitors at a time.

Please note that the mineral collection is not wheelchair-accessible.

Please note that on days with many visitors, the visiting time in the mineral collection can be limited to 15 minutes. In that case you can book a time slot at the ticket office.