Mineral CollectionPrint this page
"The variety of forms and colors in the mineral collection should remind us a little of the One who has not only created life, but also matter in colorful and diversity.” Abbot em. Dr. Burkhard Ellegast OSB
The mineral collection whose origins date back to the 18th century has grown considerably these last years. Between 1998 and 2007 the collection was restored and in May 2007 it was open to the interested public for the first time. Melk abbey’s mineral collection is located in the former prelate’s library. This wonderful Baroque room with stucco decorations and an original ceiling painting from 1643, showing the abbey before its Baroque reconstruction, provides the perfect setting for the minerals.
Opening hours 2022
May - Oct. / daily 1.30 pm - 3.30 pm
The mineral collection is not wheelchair-accessible.