They abbey park makes up a substantial part of the entire Baroque monastic ensemble which constitutes a symmetric symbiosis of the abbey building and the grounds.
The exterior grounds were renovated and revitalized
for the Lower Austrian State Exhibition in 2000. As
the third part of the exhibition, these areas were
open to the public for the first time, and were an
area that visitors greatly enjoyed. Due to the great
demand, Melk Abbey decided to continue to make these
areas available to the public.
The abbey park was designed as a baroque park in 1750 and in 1822 the majority was replanted as an English landscape garden.
Baroque Garden Pavilion
The garden pavilion served as a place of relaxation for the monks in the Baroque era. With a great amount of fantasy, Johann W. Bergl created the Baroque frescoes with exotic animals and plants, jungles and native people: an exotic place which invites you to linger. Today, there is a self-service café located in the pavilion.
The „Garden of Paradise“ where something fragrant, medicinal or blossoming is growing all year round has been replanted according to plans by Walafrid Strabo (9th century).
In the midst of modern architecture, a so-called „jardin méditerranéen“ presents itself to the visitor.
A view of the Danube valley, „St.Benedict´s Path“ which invokes meditation, the „Talking Stones“, a campfire circle, the historical water basin and 250-year-old linden trees are some of the other attractions in the abbey park.
Admission tickets to visit only the abbey park and the bastion:
Adults: € 4,00
Abbey Park: May to Oct. (9 a.m. to 6 p.m.)