Marble Hall

The ceiling fresco by Paul Troger (1731) shows, in the center, Pallas Athena on a chariot drawn by lions as a symbol of wisdom and moderation. Hercules can be seen to her left, symbolizing the force necessary to conquer the three-headed hound of hell, night, and sin. Both Pallas Athena and Hercules allude to Emperor Karl VI, who liked to be celebrated as a successor to the Roman emperors in the Hercules legend. The guest is shown the essence of the House of Habsburg: The ruler brings the people from dark to light, from evil to good.

The inscriptions over the doors are quotes from the Rule of St. Benedict. They indicate the purpose of the room: “Hospites tamquam Christus suscipiantur” (Guests should be received as Christ would be) and “Et omnibus congruus honor exhibeatur” (And to each the honor given which is his due). The room served as a dining hall for the imperial family and other distinguished guests, as well as a festival hall. 

The doorframes are made of genuine marble from Adnet and Untersberg (in the province of Salzburg), whereas the walls are of stucco marble.

The architectural painting on the ceiling fresco is by Gaetano Fanti.

 

Marble Hall: Detail from the ceiling fresco by Paul Troger     The Marble Hall