MELK ABBEY /
Stift Melk - Abt-Berthold-Dietmayr-Str. 1 - A 3390 Melk - Tel.:0043(0)2752-555-0
ORA et LABORA et LEGE – PRAY, WORK, LEARN
In a way, this is the Benedictines’ motto: the whole human
being is challenged to contribute everything possible to the community which is
searching God. Body, soul and spirit merge to have a meaning of life which isn’t
limited to this world, but leaves room for everything that goes beyond it.
Because of this Saint Benedict tells his monks to glorify God in all things, not
only through their prayer, but also through their work and their daily
willingness to learn. “Never stop beginning”: this is the ultimate goal to come
clean with oneself, with others and with God and to lead a fulfilled life.
Melk Abbey is one of the biggest and most beautiful European Baroque ensembles. Its splendid architecture is famous worldwide and part of UNESCO’s world cultural heritage. The Baroque building situated on a rock overlooking the Danube, in the Wachau region, ranks as one of Austria’s most visited art-historical sites. Since 1089, Benedictine monks have continually been living and working in Melk Abbey. Following the rules laid down by St. Benedict, they try to translate into action the words ORA et LABORA et LEGE (pray and work and learn) by working in pastoral care and education (Melk Abbey Secondary School) as well as organizing cultural events.
A visit of the monastery includes the Imperial Staircase, the Imperial Corridor, the abbey museum, the Marble Hall, the balcony, the library and the abbey church as well as the abbey park with its Baroque pavilion and many other accents (May to October), the Northern Bastion with the Wachau Lab and a panoramic terrace, the mineral collection (May to October) and special exhibitions.